Happy New Year, everyone!
(Like every year before this) I declare that 2012 will be the best year ever. 2011 was mostly taken up by apartment-hunting and CCE, but this year I’m leaving myself room for some new creative and business pursuits. New stuff for 2012:
- First up, the Deep Creeps will FINALLY hit stores. It has literally been years since I started working on this new line, but the packaging finally got approved this week, so the little buggers should arrive in stores sometime around April 1st. Leonardo the dumbo octopus is first, followed (hopefully) by the still-unnamed angler fish in October. BTW, folks, if you have any good name ideas for an angler fish (she’s a girl), please send ‘em my way. Nothing is clicking so far. There’s a full set of Deep Creeps and some shout-outs in it for you. 🙂
- Secondly, drawing every day. I feel my drawing muscles have somewhat atrophied lately from lack of use, and I’m trying to build them back up again, no matter how much it hurts. I’ll likely post some examples now and again of useful failures and successes, but I certainly won’t subject you to every tired sketch. I’ve been going steady for about two weeks now. We’ll see how long it lasts.
- Thirdly, I’ll be speaking at the Craftcation conference in Ventura this March, while continuing to teach monthly classes on indie biz topics at WorkshopSF. CCE is not happening in 2012, but the girls and I are already cooking up ideas for 2013 while we consider other CCE business like non-profit filing and fiscal sponsorship in the meantime.
- Fourthly, a WHOLE NEW BUSINESS. I’m not really talking about it yet, since I don’t like to count my chickens before they hatch, but stay tuned for what I hope to be the summer launch of a brand new digital venture. Business plan and prototypes are already underway.
- Fifthly, all the usual new year’s-resolution-type stuff like eating healthier, getting up earlier, staying more organized, driving less and exercising more. I’m taking my bike for repairs on Wednesday, so I can attempt a ride to work on Thursday, when it will be sunny and un-cold. The route is much flatter from this new apartment than from our last, so I’m hoping this can be my new commute. I have incentivized the bike-riding by making the following deal with myself: if I regularly ride my mom’s 20-year-old bike to work this year, then I can have a pretty new commuter bike for Xmas in December.
That’s about it for now. I’m trying to keep the list fairly short, since the quickest way for me to fail is to overwhlem myself. What are your plans for 2012?