I’ve always wanted to have an Oscar Party. The visuals are so dazzling on Oscar night — from the incredible gowns to the elaborate dance numbers — that it makes for the perfect party theme. So this year I’m taking the leap and actually doing it. I’m REALLY excited!
My time is very limited these days, so I’m focusing just on games and food. To start with, I’ve created twelve bingo cards for red carpet time, because we all know that’s when the show really begins. If you want to use these on Oscar night, click this link to download the pdf. I’ve designed them to be reusable year after year, so if you have an annual Oscar bash, you could laminate these and use them with dry-erase markers. You could even play several rounds this way.
Before the awards, guests can fill out an Oscar scorecard to guess who/what will win in each category. I found a good one over at Rotten Tomatoes. At the end of the night, the best guesser wins! For the awards themselves, I’ve downloaded Jessica Jones’ Oscar Bingo cards from her blog How About Orange. I’m using cheesy $1 DVDs as prizes.
To keep everyone’s bellies happy during five hours in front of the TV, I’ve put together a no-cook Oscar food and drink menu based on all ten nominated films:
- Avatar: “Unobtanium” (Blue Tropicale cocktail)
- The Blind Side: Superbowl veggie dip (decorated to look like a football)
- District 9: Popcorn “Prawns”
- An Education: Apples for the teacher (kinda lame, but it gets fruit in there)
- The Hurt Locker: Stealth Bomber cocktail
- Inglourious Basterds: Nazi pigs in a blanket
- Precious: Harlem cocktails
- A Serious Man: Bar Mitzvah bagel chips with cream cheese and lox
- Up: Kevin’s bird food (assorted chocolates)
- Up in the Air: Airline Snack Pack (cheese, crackers, raisins and nuts)
I tried to keep the menu as simple and varied as possible, so I can get everything ready in under an hour, and no one would feel sick if they wanted to sample everything. If you’re low on ideas for your own Oscar party, feel free to use any of these.
Enjoy the Awards, everyone!